Friday, July 24, 2026

Using AI as a Writing Tool

 

"Employing AI" by Christine Graves via NightCafe Studio

I use AI as a writing tool. I know how most writers feel about using AI, but let me explain. I do NOT use AI to write my posts or stories for me; I use it simply as a tool.

I've been writing for a very long time. Like most writers, I was dead set against using AI when it first started becoming a popular thing. I didn't want anything to do with it. However, I've come to rely on it to help me in my writing endeavors. If done correctly, AI can be a writer's best friend.

RESEARCH

The biggest thing I use AI for is research. Though I mostly write fiction, I still like to have a bit of truth and realism in the mix. I use AI to find tidbits of information that will take my silly little story from a nice read to an in-depth tale. 

It's also nice to have AI do research for my non-fiction pieces. I wrote a piece for one of my other blogs about The Man in the Iron Mask. I thought I knew the full story, but I was wrong. With the help of AI, I discovered that there was a much deeper story behind the legend. He was a real person and may have been a member of the French royal family.

One thing to keep in mind when using AI is that it's not perfect and can make mistakes. As the AI chatbot gives you information, it should also offer links to where it found said information. Go check it out. Make sure it's a reputable source and not someone's opinion. (Unless that's what you're looking for).

IDEAS

I love using AI as a sounding board for my ideas, or having it throw some ideas at me. I always use Gemini and have an ongoing conversation with it. Due to this, Gemini has learned my writing style and what I try to create in my writings. When I ask for some ideas, Gemini will give me three or four ideas that match my personal style. 

The other night I needed some inspiration, so I asked Gemini to give me some off-the-wall prompts. It gave me three ideas for fiction stories, a couple of historical trivia pieces, and a long list of mixed metaphors. It was just enough to get a creative spark.

One of my favorite sessions was when I'd created a list of titles, but no story idea behind them. I tossed the titles into Gemini, and it gave me some ideas on where to take those titles. I took a few of those ideas and formed a full storyline. Gemini didn't write the story for me, but made it possible for me to create the piece without getting stuck in the middle.

EDITORIAL SERVICES

Once I've finished a piece, I can upload it into Gemini and have it edited. Gemini can go through the piece and find typos, find any places where the storyline isn't quite right or where facts were skewed, and even give me ideas on how to fill in gaps. 

Once a piece is finished, I can have Gemini look up and find any small online magazines or websites that are accepting submissions. It can find sites looking for specific genres, word counts, writing competitions, and much more. 

In fact, while researching for this post, Gemini found me three different paying markets that are currently accepting submissions. I wasn't even looking for that, but there it is. And as such, it's sent my brain off into another whole direction. I haven't thought of submitting to online magazines in a couple of years. I honestly thought those days were gone.

Again, I do NOT have AI write my pieces for me, but using it as a writing tool has completely upped my game. It's helped me spark ideas I normally wouldn't have come up with on my own. It's given my pieces more depth with bits of trivia and information. And now I'm thinking of things to do to submit to some online sites. 

What are your thoughts about using AI as a writing tool? I'd love to know.

Until next time,






No comments:

Post a Comment